De-merger – Update following consultation
Formal consultation on the proposal to split the Nottingham Academy into 2 separate academies ran for 6 weeks between 9 November and the 21 December 2018.
The extent of community and parental response to the consultation was relatively modest in number. However, there was strong overall support for the proposal to split the Nottingham Academy and establish 2 separate academies. There were 2 significant issues that were consistently raised during the consultation:
- a lack of support for the proposed name at both academies
- concern about the costs of rebranding, particularly the cost of a new uniform
The consultation indicated a significant majority who were in favour of keeping the Nottingham Academy name for Greenwood Campus and a significant majority who were in favour of a completely new name for the new academy at Ransom Road. However, there was not support for the proposed name; the Mapperley Park Academy.
Based on the feedback received from consultation, on 25 January Greenwood Academies Trust’s Board agreed to submit an amended proposal to the Regional Schools Commissioner to split the Nottingham Academy into 2 separate academies where:
- Greenwood Campus - Greenwood Road and Sneinton Boulevard site would continue to be called the Nottingham Academy,
- further consultation with the community would be carried out about the name of the Ransom Road Campus.
- the cost of any replacement uniform at the Ransom Road site academy would be funded by the academy.
It is expected that the Regional Schools Commissioner will reach a decision on the proposal in March, at which point further information will be provided to pupils, parents/careers, staff and the community.